- VIP Access
- Host Cities
- VIP Access
- Host Cities
Amgen Tour of California Reveals 2013 Race Jerseys
Apr 23, 2013
Custom Jerseys from Champion System Will Carry Leader Names for Each Stage, Including Amgen Breakaway from Cancer® Most Courageous Rider Jersey Designed by Northern California Resident
LOS ANGELES (April 23, 2013) – The leader jersey lineup for the upcoming 2013 Amgen Tour of California professional road cycling race has been unveiled by race operator AEG.
A long-standing tradition in professional cycling, special race jerseys will be awarded daily to overall race leaders in several categories. New to the race this year, each award jersey from Champion System, the official jersey partner of the 2013 Amgen Tour of California, will carry the last name of the cyclist wearing it during competition – believed to be a first for any professional cycling race.
Earlier this month, Martinez, Calif. resident Matt Orendorff won AEG's design contest for the 2013 Amgen Breakaway from Cancer® Most Courageous Rider Jersey, chosen from a pool of submissions and determined by a panel of judges. Orendorff's winning design, which will be featured in the race, prominently features the Breakaway from Cancer logo and a clean, sharp race-inspired design. His prize package includes a trip for him and one guest to one stage of the 2013 Amgen Tour of California, including round trip airfare, hotel accommodations, VIP Hospitality passes, a race merchandise package, and the opportunity to meet the Most Courageous Rider winner of the stage following the awards ceremony.
"Leader jerseys are one of the great traditions of cycling," said Kristin Bachochin, executive director of the race and senior vice president of AEG Sports. "In the past seven editions of the Amgen Tour of California, we've seen some epic performances from the cyclists who have been awarded these top honors. I look forward to seeing how this year's competition unfolds."
"We wanted to create something for the Amgen Tour of California that brought our philosophy of customer unique branding to these leader jerseys. Each leader of each category will be wearing their personal branded jersey with their name on it, sporting a unique piece of this year's race history," said Scott Kaylin, president of Champion System.
The 2013 Amgen Tour of California, which will cover nearly 750 miles of scenic California roadways, highways and coastlines from May 12 – 19, will feature the world's elite cyclists vying for these six leader jerseys:
- Amgen Race Leader Jersey: The coveted yellow jersey is awarded daily to the rider with the lowest cumulative time over the entire race. The rider wearing this jersey often changes from stage to stage as each day's results are added into the equation. It is possible for a rider to win the Amgen Race Leader Jersey without winning a daily stage since the jersey takes into account overall times.
- Amgen Breakaway from Cancer® Most Courageous Rider Jersey: This special and traditional jersey will be awarded daily to the cyclist who best exemplifies the character of those engaged in the fight against cancer – courage, sacrifice, inspiration, determination, and perseverance.
- Nissan King of the Mountain (KOM) Jersey: The 2013 race is characterized by a great deal of climbing, and this jersey goes to the peloton's strongest climber. A cyclist earns this jersey by collecting points at designated King of the Mountain (KOM) locations located at the tops of mountains and hills. Only the first three cyclists to reach the top on rated climbs receive points towards this award.
- Visit California Sprint Jersey: The Sprint Jersey is awarded to the rider that accumulates the most bonus points, which are given based on Sprint Line performances as well as finishing the stage in the top-15 places. Cyclists who specialize in bursts of power and speed, or consistently finish near the top of each stage, will have the best chance to wear the respected green jersey.
- Crunchies Best Young Rider Jersey: Crunchies, "Nature's Ultimate Snack Food," is a first-time sponsor of this sought-after Best Young Rider jersey. It will be awarded on the podium daily to the rider under age 24 with the least amount of elapsed time over the entire race to that point. This jersey is an easy way to spot rising cycling stars.
For fans who covet race-day looks, official Amgen Tour of California leader jerseys and a limited edition race jersey are available exclusively at www.amgentourofcaliforniastore.com. About the Amgen Tour of California
The largest cycling event in America, the 2013 Amgen Tour of California is a Tour de France-style cycling road race, created and presented by AEG, that challenges the world's top professional cycling teams to compete along a demanding course from May 12-19, 2013. For more information about the men's and women's races, please visit www.amgentourofcalifornia.com.
Amgen discovers, develops, manufactures and delivers innovative human therapeutics. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen was one of the first companies to realize the new science's promise by bringing safe and effective medicines from lab, to manufacturing plant, to patient. Amgen therapeutics have changed the practice of medicine, helping millions of people around the world in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis, bone disease and other serious illnesses. With a deep and broad pipeline of potential new medicines, Amgen remains committed to advancing science to dramatically improve people's lives. To learn more about Amgen's pioneering science and vital medicines, visitwww.amgen.com. Follow Amgen on www.twitter.com/amgen.
AEG is one of the leading sports and entertainment presenters in the world. AEG, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Anschutz Company, owns or controls a collection of companies including facilities such as STAPLES Center, The Home Depot Center, Sprint Center, The O2, Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE and Best Buy Theater Times Square; sports franchises including the Los Angeles Kings (NHL), two Major League Soccer franchises, two hockey franchises operated in Europe, management of privately held shares of the Los Angeles Lakers, the Bay to Breakers foot race and the Amgen Tour of California cycling road race; AEG Live, the organization's live-entertainment division, is a collection of companies dedicated to all aspects of live contemporary music performance, touring and a variety of programming and multi-media production. For more information, visit AEG today atwww.aegworldwide.com.
Eileen Tanner, GolinHarris
Relive the Race's History!
For the 10th Anniversary we've compiled our favorite moments Watch >>
Ride 2 Recovery
Support Cycling Programs for Veterans through the Honor Rides Details >>