May 3, 2014
LOS ANGELES (May 5, 2014) – The start list for the 2014 Amgen Tour of California was announced today by AEG, presenter of the race. With 128 riders from 16 elite professional cycling teams, the Amgen Tour of California is the most esteemed stage race in the U.S. and one of the most important on the international calendar.
With experts already predicting the 2014 edition will host the ninth annual event’s strongest and most competitive field to date, the race begins Sunday, May 11, and will include three of the world’s top-10 cyclists; Tour de France, Giro de Italia and Vuelta a España (Grand Tours) podium finishers; Olympic medalists; 10 World Champions; and six current National Champions, as well as exciting up-and-coming talent. All will be competing to take top honors in America’s most prestigious cycling race across more than 720 miles of California’s iconic highways, summits and coastlines May 11-18.
“We are honored to welcome such a stellar field of cyclists, many of whom have traveled across the world to compete at the 2014 Amgen Tour of California,” said Kristin Bachochin, executive director of the race and senior vice president of AEG Sports. “We look forward to an exciting race with one the most accomplished fields of riders to date.”
The roster of cycling’s best is packed with some of the most decorated cyclists in the world, from Team Sky’s Bradley Wiggins, the first cyclist in history to win Olympic gold and the Tour de France in the same year; to Omega Pharma – Quick-Step’s Mark Cavendish, who holds the third ever most Tour de France stage wins (25); to Cannondale’s Peter Sagan, who holds the record for the most Amgen Tour of California stage wins (10). The accolades held by the field of 128 are as lengthy as the start list itself, including:
World Champions (10)
• Thor Hushovd, BMC Racing Team (2010 Road Race, 1988 U23 Time Trial)
• Tom Boonen, Omega Pharma – Quick-Step Cycling Team (2005 Road Race)
• Mark Cavendish, Omega Pharma – Quick-Step Cycling Team (2011 Road Race, 2008 Madison-Track, 2005 Madison-Track)
• Taylor Phinney, BMC Racing Team (2010 U23 Time Trial, 2009 and 2010 Pursuit-Track, 2008 Junior Pursuit-Track, 2007 Junior Time Trial)
• Bradley Wiggins, Team Sky (2008 Team, Individual Pursuit-Track, Madison-Track, 2007 Team and Individual Pursuit-Track, 2003 Pursuit-Track)
• Matthew Goss, ORICA-GreenEDGE (2006 Team Pursuit-Track) • Rohan Dennis, Team Garmin-Sharp (2011 and 2010 Team Pursuit-Track)
• Simon Yates, ORICA-GreenEDGE (2013 Points Race-Track)
• Jack Bobridge, Belkin Pro Cycling Team (2011 Team and Individual Pursuit-Track, 2010 Team Pursuit Track, 2009 U23 Time Trial, 2006 and 2007 Junior Team Pursuit-Track)
• Danny Pate, Team Sky (2001 U23 Time Trial)
Current National Champions (6):
• Peter Sagan, Cannondale Pro Cycling (Slovakia, Road)
• Thor Hushovd, BMC Racing Team (Norway, Road)
• Fred “Freddie” Rodriguez, Jelly Belly Cycling Team p/b MAXXIS (U.S., Road)
• Mark Cavendish, Omega Pharma – Quick-Step Cycling Team (UK, Road)
• Tom Zirbel, Optum Pro Cycling p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies (U.S., Time Trial)
• Michael Schär, BMC Racing Team (Switzerland, Road)
Tour de France Stage Winners (6):
• Mark Cavendish, Omega Pharma – Quick-Step Cycling Team (25)
• Thor Hushovd, BMC Racing Team (10)
• Tom Boonen, Omega Pharma – Quick-Step Cycling Team (6)
• Jens Voigt, Trek Factory Racing (3)
• Peter Sagan, Cannondale Pro Cycling (4)
• Bradley Wiggins, Team Sky (2)
Grand Tour Overall Podium Finishers:
• Bradley Wiggins, Team Sky (1st 2012 Tour de France, 3rd 2011 Vuelta a España, 3rd 2009 Tour de France)
Fans can cheer on these world-class athletes in person on the 2014 Amgen Tour of California race course May 11 – 18, via daily broadcasts on NBC Sports Network and NBC Sports (final Sunday), or from anywhere with the free Tour Tracker app for tablets and mobile devices, which features live race updates, rider background and full race results. More information on all of the ways to watch is available at www.amgentourofcalifornia.com.
About the Amgen Tour of California
The Amgen Tour of California is a Tour de France-style cycling road race created and presented by AEG that challenges the world’s top professional cycling teams to compete along a demanding course that traverses hundreds of miles of California’s iconic highways, byways and coastlines each spring. The teams chosen to participate have included Olympic medalists, Tour de France contenders and World Champions. More information is available at www.amgentourofcalifornia.com.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high-unmet medical need and leverages its biologics manufacturing expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people’s lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be the world’s largest independent biotechnology company, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential. For more information, visit www.amgen.com and follow us on www.twitter.com/amgen.
AEG is one of the leading sports and entertainment presenters in the world. AEG, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Anschutz Company, owns or controls a collection of companies including facilities such as STAPLES Center, StubHub Center, Sprint Center, The O2, Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE and Best Buy Theater Times Square; sports franchises including the Los Angeles Kings (NHL), two Major League Soccer franchises, two hockey franchises operated in Europe, management of privately held shares of the Los Angeles Lakers and the Amgen Tour of California cycling road race; AEG Live, the organization’s live-entertainment division, is a collection of companies dedicated to all aspects of live contemporary music performance, touring and a variety of programming and multi-media production. For more information, visit AEG today at www.aegworldwide.com.
Michael Roth, AEG 213-742-7155 email@example.com
Eileen Tanner, GolinHarris 213-438-8888 firstname.lastname@example.org
Diana Valdez, GolinHarris 213-438-8759 email@example.com